"Flowers for Algernon" By Daniel Keys, published in Fantasy and Science Fiction.
Copyright 1959 by Mercury Press.

July 28

I did a dumb thing today I forgot I wasnt in Miss Kinnians class at the adult center any more like I used to be. I went in and sat down in my old seat in the back of the room and she looked at me funny and she said Charles. I dint remember she ever called me that before only Charlie so I said hello Miss Kinnian Im redy for my lesin today only I lost my reader that we was using. She startid to cry and run out of the room and everybody looked at me and I saw they wasnt the same pepul who used to be in my class.
Then all of a sudden I remembered some things about the operashun and me getting smart and I said holy smoke I reely pulled a Charlie Gordon that time. I went away before she come back to the room.
Thats why Im going away from New York for good. I dont want to do nothing like that agen. I dont want Miss Kinnian to feel sorry for me. Evry body feels sorry at the factery and I dont want that eather so Im going someplace where nobody knows that Charlie Gordon was once a genus and now he cant even reed a book or rite good.
Im taking a cuple of books along and even if I cant reed them Ill practise hard and maybe I wont forget every thing I lerned. If I try reel hard maybe Ill be a littel bit smarter than I was before the operashun. I got my rabits foot and my luky penny and may'be they will help me.
If you ever reed this Miss Kinnian dont be sorry for me Im glad I got a second chanse to be smart becaus I lerned a lot of things that I never even new were in this world and Im grateful that I saw it all for a little bit. I dont know why Im dumb agen or what I did wrong maybe its becaus I dint try hard enuff. But if I try and practis very hard maybe Ill get a little smarter and know what all the words are. I remember a littel bit how nice I had a feeling with the blue book that has the torn cover when I red it. Thats why Im gonna keep trying to get smart so I can have that feeling agen. Its a good feeling to know things and be smart. I wish I had it rite now if I did I would sit down and reed all the time. Anyway I bet Im the first dumb person in the world who ever found out something importent for sience. I remember I did something but I dont remember what. So I gess its like I did it for all the dumb pepul like me.
Good-by Miss Kinnian and Dr Strauss and evreybody. And P.S. please tell Dr Nemur not to be such a grouch when pepul laff at him and he would have more frends. Its easy to make frends if you let pepul laff at you. Im going to have lots of frends where I go.
P.P.S. Please if you get a chanse put some flowrs on Algernons grave in the bak yard....

14 comments:

Stephen McCutcheon said...

For all those people wondering if this is a copyright violation, the offical website for Flowers for Algernon can be found at http://www.danielkeyesauthor.com/

Other useful resources include:
http://www.mahalo.com/Flowers_for_algernon

Also search Yahoo/Google video for the film based version of the book called "Charly" (1968)

Aaron C. said...

impersation of Charlie Gordon!!!!!!!! NOOOOOoooo

Haku Ryuu and Koku Fushichou said...

i know a teacher that would always choke up at the end, its sad

Haku Ryuu and Koku Fushichou said...

i know a teacher that would always choke up at the end, its sad

Term Papers said...

Thanks, It was an excellent read. Your blog is one of my daily reads. It takes some reading to find all the really interesting stuff, but it's pretty good.


Term papers

Unknown said...

did you die?

Night Hawk said...

you guys are soooooo cooooool

Moe Lester said...

Hello Boys

Moe Lester said...

E MAN IS A COOL CAT

Akemi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Akemi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You can proofread your text with the help of http://proofreading-services.org/proofreader.php as the delivered content has a lot of mistakes! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Can I get a HUH-YEAH?!?!

Unknown said...

HUUUUHHHHHHH YEAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!